The success of your content marketing goals will depend on how well you plan it. You can’t just throw some content together and expect it to be a smashing success.
Sure, you could get lucky, but do you really want to leave your business success to luck or chance? I sure hope not. Success is all about getting in the trenches, it’s all about working out every single aspect of your journey.
Now, before you go about defining your reasons why you want to have a content marketing strategy in place, you have to understand what a marketing funnel is.
It looks something like this:
(Image source: https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/content-marketing-funnel)
As you can see in the image above, a content marketing funnel has 3 stages:
- At the top of the funnel (TOFU), you want your target audience to become aware of your brand. Since content marketing is a numbers game, you want to get as many people as possible to enter the TOFU and become your prospects.
- In the middle of your funnel (MOFU), your prospects engage even more with your brand and your content, and they become leads. At this point, they are trying to evaluate if your business is right for their needs.
- Lastly, when your leads are ready to make a purchase decision, they enter the bottom of your funnel (BOFU). Your content at this stage will basically provide them withthe information they need to become your customers.
Keep this funnel in mind while you plan your content marketing goals. Ideally, you want everyone in your target audience to reach the BOFU, but as you probably know, it hardly happens in real life. Only a small percentageof your audience will become paying customers. This is why you need to get your content in front of as many people as possible!
When defining your content marketing goals, you need to ask yourself what you hope to achieve. Here are some possible goals you can use:
- Do you want to get more leads for your business?
- Do you want to increase your visitor traffic, so you can make more money off ads on your site?
- Do you want to get more affiliate income from people clicking and buying using your affiliate links?
- Do you want to use content to convert potential leads into paying customers?
- Or do you want to build brand awareness and get people to visit your site time and again?
Whatever your content marketing goals are you need to know it by heart. Because everything you’re going to be doing over the next 30 days will need to align with the goals you’ve set for your business.