If you think the sole purpose of a resume is to present your work history and credentials, think again. Hiring agents are seeking candidates who not only possess relevant experience, but understand how to PRESENT it effectively. Stop looking at your resume as a summarization of your career and start looking at it as your #1 personal marketing tool! Here are some tips to help get you started:
1) UTILIZE A RESULTS-ORIENTED STRUCTURE
Quantifiable results matter more than anything else on a resume. Don’t hide them with peer recommendations, flashy sidebars and graphics, and/or sections devoted to extraneous subjects such as hobbies, personal stats, and others. The easier you make it for a reader to grasp your key successes AT A GLANCE, the better your chances of landing an interview. A structure that works generally consists of:
– A succinct opening (3-4 lines max) demonstrating UNIQUE attributes.
– A “Core Competencies” section listing in-demand keywords for the type of position you’re seeking.
– A “Professional Experience” section listing all PERTINENT positions over the past 10-12 years. A good rule of thumb is 2-4 lines per job describing responsibilities, followed by a bulleted section titled “Key Accomplishments” or similar listing successes (complete with metrics, if available).
-A brief “Education & Advanced Training” section. No dates necessary. Any other necessary sections (such as “Technical Proficiencies”) should be listed after Education.
2) USE ACTIVE LANGUAGE
Resumes use a particular language all their own. Begin every sentence with a verb (ex. “Guided multiple projects to completion within aggressive timeframes.”) and separate individual ideas. Resist the temptation to clog your resume with trendy buzzwords such as “Change Agent” and cliched skills such as “Multi-Tasker”.
3) AVOID NEGATIVE DETAILS WHEREVER POSSIBLE
Honesty is valued within a resume, but overdoing it through listing the particulars of how you got laid off from your last position or conflicts you’ve had with superiors only lessens your chances. Leave any information that may present you in a negative light off the resume.
Anish Majumdar is a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) and Owner at Resume Orbit. 95% of clients report a significant increase in interviews within 30 days, and all work comes backed by a 100% Satisfaction or Money Back Guarantee (in writing).
Please submit your existing resume for a FREE CRITIQUE spanning structure, language, and content.